Thursday, 5 April 2012

The 15th day of June, in the sixteen-hundredth and twenty-third year of our lord.


            I have discovered today that even when one thinks himself to have won, it is not over until the final moment. I was informed by my father when I awoke this morning that he had spent the night awake in his study considering what I had said. He too knew that not all cases were heard equally in the short time frame that the assizes allowed, and he could not allow his actions to send two innocent women to their death. He agreed that superstition had clouded his judgement, and that my argument had shown him the error of his ways. With that, he gave me a sealed letter to deliver to the sheriff at the gaol and secure the two women’s release. Thanking him joyfully, I seized the letter and ran to the stable so I could ride into town and get Mary and her mother freed before they were delivered to Lancaster. Even as I approached the gaol, I knew that something was amiss. There was a crowd of people gathered around the gaol, and as I dismounted and pushed my way to the front of the crowd, I was able to see the sheriff guide two men as they carried out a body covered in a cloth to be laid next to one that was already on the ground. A sudden gust of wind lifted one of the clothes, and I saw the face that I once knew so well, drained of glow in the cheeks with a laugh that was never to be heard again. I ran up to the sheriff and seized him by the front of his shirt, almost lifting him off the ground.
            “What happened here? Who did this? I was here to set these women free!” I released the sheriff and shook my father’s letter at him.
            “Now that makes this even more of a shame, it does,” the sheriff declared mournfully. “The truth is that while I was called away early this morning for business with your brother, David Millseed managed to get inside the gaol and took justice into his own hands before killing himself. He has been a mess since the death of his boy Johnny, though I never figured he would take it this far. I am not even sure how he managed to get inside.”
            I walked away from the sheriff without a word and slowly made my way back up to the estate. I did not even notice my brother until I almost ran into him when I was returning from the stables.
            “Such a shame,” he said, not even bothering to hide the cocky grin on his face. “You almost saved them, but you were too late. Maybe they would have been better off going to trial.”
            Looking into my brother’s eyes, I knew what he had done. I did not bother to hold back this time as I knocked him out with a single blow from my enraged fist. As I walked back up to the house, I knew that I could not stay here. There was no way for me to prove my brother’s involvement in this, and I had nothing else to keep me here. After writing this, I will begin to pack my bags, with designs set on going to a monastery, for a while anyway. At least there I can try to come to terms with all that has happened.

No comments: